Got to vs. Get to

Many times in my life things get twisted about and I end up on the wrong side of things. That's happened just recently and I quickly hit the frazzled stage. I was stuck in the got to camp, and life wasn't happy. Let me tell ya, my attitude didn't smell too sweet. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. My husband was sweet enough to point out a difference between got to and get to and God reminded me of another difference.

I had let a privilege turn into duty simply because of using the wrong vowel. I was saying “I've gOt to do this” instead of “I gEt to do this”. And when it comes to the things that God has called us to do, we get to do them. We get to let God use us to accomplish His purpose. It's a privilege! If we get stuck on got to and never move back to get to, God just might use someone else and we'll be out a huge blessing.

Not only could we miss out on God's blessings because of our got to attitudes, but viewing things as got to's shows a spirit of not being thankful. God has done so much for me, exceedingly more than I could ever imagine or comprehend, that I should do the work He's called me to out of love for Him. I should let my service be an expression of love for God. Just like I do things for my husband and children simply because I love them, I should do things for God simply because I love Him.


Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe;
~Hebrews 12:28


GOt to is serving God out of duty.
GEt to is serving God out of love.
The difference in the written word may be just a vowel,
but the difference it makes in your heart is vital and invigorating.


So, which vowel are you using?

8 comments:

  1. Guess who needed to hear this at this exact moment? ---> THIS girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! Have I ever been there! In fact, I find myself all too often. Great post, Patty:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooh yes. I need this. NOW (something about a messy house ::wink::). Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Patty! Real nice!!!

    smooches,
    Larie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just pondering the difference between got to and get to yesterday. With helping my husband clean houses, I noticed that I was saying "got to" WAY to often. I quickly changed my speech to "I get to" help my husband and do it to the glory of God.
    Thanks for the confirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my visit here today. Thank you for following me on Twitter. I loved the Berries for Stars story. I'm definitely looking at the things I gEt to do today now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How true!! I do look at my service as I "gEt to". I get to teach Sunday school to children, who are so pure & ready & willing to learn & accept. It fills my heart with joy that I get to serve the Lord in such a wonderful way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooeeeeeee! Am I ever glad that I GET to catch up on my reading and spend time on your blog today! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009. Design expanded and personalized by PattyWysong.com 2011.

Back to TOP